Thanks to all those people
who are supporting the project.
Combian 64 version 2.8 Released!!!
What’s new in this version?
- Fully compatible with Raspberry Pi 3b+
- Added WiFi support
- Rewritten boot logic: solved the issue with joysticks not always recognized at boot
- Changed system language again to US
- Removed mouse pointer at the emulator boot
Combian 64 version 2.7
After a period of silence, i decided to update Combian with a few nice features.
Unfortunately it’s not possible to update old Combian 2.5 with this new version, so, if you want to use it, you have to re-flash your microSd.
Combian 2.7 Experimental (Vice 3.1 + SDL2) is delayed cause of some issue with Sdl2
What’s new in Version 2.7 ?
- Vice was updated to version 3.1 (all emulators fully working)
- Connect to a BBS using StrikeTerm via TCPSER
- Updated X-Copy to support CRT files
- Quitting from an emulator bring you back to the main Combian menu
- Repaired layout keyboard configuration on raspi-config
I hope you enjoy this new release.
- Sorry, i forgot to change system language from italian to US. To restore US as default, use raspi-config, change locale to US and then reboot.
- If you need to remove the annoying mouse pointer from screen, and set your own resolution 4:3 or 16:9, go to Vice menu–>Video settings–>Size settings and select fullscreen, set then your preferite custom resolution.
Update: Released Version 2.5 and 2.5 Experimental
Major changements was made to Combian64 menu:
- Items reorganization
- Added detailed instructions
- Added Midnight Commander
- Added X-Copy, an option that will copy your rom from USB keys to Combian 64 folder automatically w/out straggling against Midnight Commander usage.
Please Note – Combian64 is now splitted in two version:
- Version 2.5 [Vice 3.0 + SDL 1.2] – Regular Branch (Stable)
- Version 2.5 Experimental [Vice 3.0 + SDL 2.0] – May have some bug due to not a full compatibility between Vice 3 and SDL2.
Welcome to the page of Combian 64
For those of you who don’t know what Combian 64 is, i explain you shortly.
Combian 64 is Raspberry Pi distribution able to boot your preferite Commodore machine in just few seconds.
It uses the brand new compiled version of Vice 3 to emulate all the Commodore Machines set.
By default, Combian 64 boots the Commodore 64 emulator, but it’s not the only one included in the distro….what if you want to emulate a Commodore Vic 20?
Easy answer! 😉
By quitting the emulator (pressing key F8), typing ‘menu’ command from the shell, you have access to the internal Combian 64 menu which will allow you to change options like: emulator to run at boot, run raspi-config command, reboot your Raspberry Pi, shutdown, or even run again the emulator.
Combian 64 is a free project, this means you can modify, improve, customise it as you like.
If you intend to distribute it through some cloud service/forum/personal link etc, you can do it freely at the condition that you mention the author and insert a reference to this page.
Projects using Combian64
A really well done project using Combian to emulate a real Commodore 64
Did you like Combian 64?
Altough the spirit of this distro is to keep alive our passion for retrogaming, developing new features and releases of Combian requires time and resources, so, as an encouragement to keep on working on it, please, consider to make a free donation 🙂
Download latest version
The distro is hosted in my Google Drive and by clicking the link below, you ask the permission to download it. Nothing complicated, the request is processed in few minutes. Please, do not make multiple requests, if i don’t give you permission in few minutes and you’re outside Europe, probably i’m sleeping :)))
Older versions of Combian 64
Please note that Combian64 is compatible with:
- Raspberry Pi 0
- Raspberry Pi 2
- Raspberry Pi 3
It DOESN’T work on new Raspberry Pi 3 B+ at the moment. A working version (2.7.1) will be released soon…
Combian 64 project was born thank to the wonderful facebook group “Retro Emulation World.” If you want to be part of this incredible community, click the image below 🙂